Monday, May 30, 2011

Happy Memorial Day!



In honor of Memorial Day and the unofficial kick-off to summer, I want to share one of my favorite summer-time staple recipes, "Mis'sippi Caviar"! I first had "Tippah County Caviar" at Newk's a few years ago and really liked this side dish. So I googled to find a recipe and like I always do I find two or three that catch my eye and I combine them to make my own. Keeping, deleting and adding items to make it unique to me and my taste.

So today's recipe goes like this:

"Mis'sippi Caviar"

Ingredients:

* 1 large tomato, diced
* 1 medium white onion, finely chopped
* 1 small red bell pepper, finely chopped
* 1 jalapeno, finely chopped
* 1/2 cup chopped green onions
* 1 loose cup chopped fresh cilantro leaves
* 5-6 tablespoons of olive oil
* 3-4 tablespoons of lemon juice
* Salt and freshly ground black pepper
* 2 (15-ounce) cans black-eyed peas, drained

Directions:

Combine the first 6 ingredients in a bowl.

In a separate small bowl, whisk together the lemon juice, olive oil, and salt and pepper.

Toss all together and let marinate for at up to 8 hours in the refrigerator before serving.

Hope you enjoy this yummy recipe that you can make all summer long! Happy Memorial Day!! And a BIG thanks to all the troops that have fought for this country! :))

No comments:

Post a Comment