Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Rental Roller Coaster

You know you are loved when filthy messes are cleaned for you :D

Jonathan and I definitely experienced our fair share of trials and tribulations in the first few weeks of our marriage. Our first (rental, thank God) home would have been the end of our blissful marriage had we not been madly in love with each other. I knew he loved me, but not this much!

First of all the house had not been thoroughly cleaned and sanitized before we moved in. Just great. I hate cleaning as it is, much more if it's not my mess. But I have to give credit where credit is due and fortunately I arrived to Jackson several hours after Jonathan did so....reason #1 of why he's the best. Secondly, only half the house had been painted and you can imagine how determined I was that the rest match what had already been done. After several attempts to get the landlords to finish the job we decided to take matters into our own hands. Well mostly Jonathan's, again reason #2. Plus side: the rent check was significantly lower that month. Third, we got a FREE washer and dryer from a friend of Jonathan's. How awesome is that? That would be reason #3 if it weren't for what came next. Well it was just too good to be true. We hooked them up and then decided to run the washer to rinse it out. Can't be too cautious. In the meantime the hall toilet, which previously had a leak but since being fixed actually farted (pressure and air), was making that strange sound that I had told Jonathan about. Curiosity kicked in and Jonathan had to check it out. When he lifted that lid our lives changed for the worst. You see, the people who lived here before us had been pouring their grease down the drain even though there is no disposal. Well running the washing machine somehow caused lots and lots of pressure and resulted in both of our toilets and showers to back up, spilling greasy, *mexican poo all over the bathrooms. And this just HAD to happen at 7 o'clock on a Saturday night. We called the plumber that had worked on our leaky toilet before but he couldn't be there till 9am the next day. So we proceeded to make a pallet on our living room floor because the smell was too strong to sleep in our bed. Slumber party! Yea right, I wish it had been a party. Anyways the next morning the plumber showed up on his gleaming white horse and fixed our problem, which was about 5 or 6 inches of compacted grease at the end of our line. What came next is reason #3 of why my husband is the best. I'm a gagger. Always have been and always will be. So he sweetly volunteered to get down and dirty cleaning those nasty bathrooms. And I will love him forever for it! And to make it worse, all this went down with no a/c. Yea, we got a new one of those too, but like I said, a rental. Thank, God.

Hopefully this ride has come to an end, but I doubt it.

*our house has been dubbed "the mexican house" by our neighbors because of the previous tenants. I'm not racist people, it's just a fact.

No comments:

Post a Comment